Fictitious contest: Win-a-Trip ASU grad school project runs 22-26 June.

Friends and Family,
Post your photos and recommend your favorite travel spots so I can begin planning for future trips!
... tweet me at http://www.twitter.com/anne2hike

Visit my website: http://www.tropicalteachers.com/web2.0/a2b

Enjoy!
Anne

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sound bites!

Yep, that's right. Not sound bytes! I don't have those, nor does the autio technician who's been working on this capstone project since 7 or so this morning. Says he's a whiz, promises to deliver...so I give him d.i.'s checklist.

Audacity is downloaded....Lame is FINALLY in the right place and I've carefully recorded the contest intro after several takes. Audio techician didn't want to have to edit the sound track so any time I made a mistake (and I made three), we had to start over.

First, he lost the LAME folder (how lame is that?)...then, he joyfully announced that he'd converted the audio to MP3 format. Good...only one more step...upload the stuff to ODEO so the audio can be on the website where it's supposed to be. Embedded audio is a plus, right?

I admit to being confused when the tech guy showed me the ODEO web page. One would expect to see a tab that allows one to input something...I saw an online slideshow tutorial recently that clearly circled a "my audio: tab. Well, the only "my audio" that the tech guy heard this morning was MY AUDIO when I asked him, perhaps not so politely, where the CONTEST audio was. When we talked Monday, he was rushed, but said he could "take care of it."

I'm seriously thinking of creating a video in the dark and uploading it, except then could I call it audio since there would be no video?

Running a national contest is NOT as easy as I thought it would be. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one doing the work...multiple personalities, some of which are NOT competent. Hard to fire myself, though!

At least the tech guy had sense enough to e-mail colleagues for help, including the folks at ODEO. I'm concerned, however, that e-mail support from a company of that size might not support me meeting our deadlines.

I have done what I can do, though. Time for breakfast. And maybe a nap. A nap and breakfast sound wonderful!

Cheers and good luck with the contest entry!
Anne